LONESOME LARRY SQUARETOP OAR
The Sawyer Artisan Lonesome Larry Oar is our very popular SquareTop Oar with a carbon fiber X-Weave fiberglass shaft reinforcement. This lends strength and a bit of stiffness, while still allowing a forgiving flex that is easy on your joints. Features a custom Lonesome Larry art wrap designed by Gregg Schlanger for a rugged and functional piece of art.
- Lonesome Larry art graphics by Gregg Schlanger
- Solid laminated Douglas Fir wood oar
- Carbon Fiber X-Weave fiberglass reinforced shaft
- Carbon fiber reinforced DyneLite blade with Dynel and Kevlar ProTip protection
- Counter balanced "Square Top"
- Comes standard with rope wrap and rubber stop
- Available Lengths: 8'6" to 10' (overall length)
- Shaft diameter at Wrap: 2.3"
- Three DyneLite™ blade choices:
- Narrow: 6" W x 30" L
- Wide (standard): 7" W x 30" L
- Shoal Cut: 8.5" W x 30" L
(measured at the belly)
Featured Artist - Gregg Schlanger
Gregg Schlanger is a Professor of Art and Chair of the Department of Art + Design at Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Washington. Gregg's projects focus on creating a better “sense of place”, leading to a respect for that place and the environment.
“Lonesome Larry, Sockeye Dreams”
"My artwork for the Sawyer Square Top Artisan Series Oars addresses the disappearance of the Columbia River Basin Sockeye Salmon. Specifically, it focuses on the Redfish Lake Sockeye Salmon. At one time, up to sixteen million salmon swam the Columbia River Basin annually. The Snake River Sockeye, are in danger of becoming extinct. The Redfish Lake Sockeye Salmon was listed as an endangered species in 1991. Of the thousands that once swam the Salmon River run, only one sockeye salmon returned to Redfish Lake in 1992. He was given the name, Lonesome Larry. The transparent black and white sockeye on the shaft represent the spirits of the salmon that once returned home. This oar is a memorial for Larry."
For more info on Gregg and his artwork visit greggschlanger.com
Save Our Wild Salmon Coalition
A percentage of each oar sale goes to support Save Our Wild Salmon conservation efforts to protect and restore wild salmon, steelhead and the healthy river systems they depend on.